Q:nuvians are all interested just in how sexy the now Doctors are. They couldn't possibly get the show as it was. They can't think deeply.
Ah, yes, because no one ever goes on and on about the sexy factor of any Classic Doctors (they do, by the way). And Classic Who was ALWAYS, ALWAYS, so deep. It was never silly, or odd, or had whole seasons that are still referred to as “panto.”
Yea, there were episodes of classic that were goofy, even bad. But whole seasons referred to as “panto”? Only by people who don’t love those seasons. I personally think Classic who is much deeper and philosophical than New:
- Look at the all the ideas from buddhism that Letts brought into the Third Doctor’s era.
- Look at Kinda and Snakedance and the concepts of self in those stories.
- Look at The Daleks FFS and its examination of pacifism.
- Look at The Web Planet and The Green Death and their treatment of pollution.
- Look at Vengeance on Varos and its examination of mass media and violence on television.
- Look at the Mind Robber and the idea of meta-fiction.
- Look at Happiness Patrol and its valuing of negative emotions.
- Look at Genesis of the Daleks and its look at fascism.
- Look at the Sunmakers and its satirizaion of British Taxes.
- Look at The Ark and its examination of the repercussions of time travel and enslavement.
If I had more time, I’d put more here, but this is a good start. New Who IMHO just doesn’t have the depth as Classic.
I think Classic Who’s greater depth and New Who’s less depth is connected to what has been dubbed “The 45 minute problem” by Stuart Hardy (He Who Moans). Essentially, New Who stories are too short. They have to tell a complete story in one 45 minute sitting, whereas Classic Who had 4x 25 minute episodes stretched over 4 weeks for the average story. This greater time allowed for much greater depth and detail, more opportunities to do proper setup and have cliffhangers.
Easy Example: Dalek Vs Jubilee
Cheating a little here, because Jubilee is a Big Finish Audio, but it stars a classic Doctor and has the same 4x 25 min episode length. It was also the story that was adapted into the episode Dalek.
Now Dalek is good. Very, very good. But anyone who listens to Jubilee will agree that it is just much better, deeper, more disturbing and viscerally nasty:
E.g. 1. Dalek has the Dalek being drilled into. Jubilee has the Doctor and his assistant being given “Dalek Juice” to drink… which is made by electrifying the Dalek in it’s casing and collecting the liquid that comes off when it’s been… boiled.
E.g. 2. In Dalek, the Dalek changes because it touches Rose and mutates. In Jubilee, the Dalek has been tortured and tormented for 100 years. We delve into it’s psyche, about how it’s just a soldier, how it doesn’t even know why Daleks do as they do. Its broken by the sheer passage of time, and talks to the Doctor’s companion and gains a respect for her because it recognises her as an equal, a Soldier who obeys the Doctor.
E.g. 3. Rose < Evelyn
"In just six hours, the world’s deserts receive more energy from the sun than humankind consumes in a year. (x)
Source: Boing Boing
I love my First Lady
Can you please tell her to tell her husband to stop killing muslims? Thanks
literally all she does is try to make the country “healthy” by giving students shitty school lunches like please do something else and help your husband fix the economy! *goes awf*
Imma need y’all to learn how the United States Government works. You don’t have to like her or the president but learn that they do not makes the decisions, they really do not have very much power, the president does not have the power to just snap his fingers and make shit happen or change things. You have to have 2/3 vote from congress to take a shit, let alone do anything having to do with government. The entire government was set up to make sure that exact thing could never happen, that is why there are 3 branches and that little thing called checks and balances.
In fact let me just break this down for y’all right here.
- President has 2 OFFICIAL jobs, Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces, but he only controls a limited amount of the funding for those troops (enough for 90 to 120 days) to engage these troops in combat. He CANNOT just declare war. only congress can declare war. The second, Accountant over the Federal Budget.
- He also is responsible for creating and balancing the national budget, but everything has to be approved by congress with a 2/3 vote.
- He signs bills into law, can veto them as well, however congress can override his veto.
- He assigns judges to the Supreme court, with the senates approval.
- He assigns foreign ambassadors, with the senates approval.
- he creates his own cabinet for people to research into areas that he might not have the time to, these are the only people who do not have to get approval from senate
- congress is made up of 535 people (100 senators 435 HoR) for any of them to come to 1 agreement has only happened once in the history of this country, and that was to go into WWII, and even that the house voted 434 to one (1st woman house of Representative she was from Maine too, she voted against WW1 and 2) and the judicial branch can call anything unconstitutional and kill it as well.
and if you think i’m lying you can literally google this shit in 2 seconds.
That tea is delicious
SAY THAT SHIT AGAIN!
I would love for people to remember this when they want to start blaming the president. Any president, though not all of them have had good ideas.
lemme get in here a sec.
The President needs a 2/3 vote in Congress to get practically anything done, right? Well currently, the 133th US Congress is split with 53 Democratic senators and 45 Republican senators and 201 Democratic representatives and 234 Republican representatives. That makes a pretty even split between the two major political parties. Ever since President Obama was elected into office, the Republicans have voted down every piece of legislation he’s attempted to pass, in an effort to pin him as the worst president in American history, so that they can go back to their white-washed elitist lives and keep all their hoarded money from the people. The President has been doing everything he can to change things, but he cannot do that without the approval of Congress. Remember that week-long shutdown we had? Yeah, that was because the Republicans weren’t getting exactly their way with the budget, so they decided to shut down the whole goddamn government until they got their way. The United States Government relies on compromise and agreement between the two parties, and we’re seriously lacking right now in that department.
So if you want to blame someone for our country’s issues, blame the goddamn Republicans for acting like tantrum-throwing two year olds.
voidsexual / voidromantic
voidsexual - an asexual spectrum orientation where your sexuality feels like a void or hollow feeling where your sexuality should be, rather than just a lack of attraction
voidromantic - an aromantic spectrum orientation where your romanticism feels like a void or hollow feeling where your romanticism should be, rather than just a lack of attraction
comes from the word void 8)
coined by y0suke
I’m an atheist.
No … no no, please come back. Stay with me to the end. I have a point here, I promise.
Being an atheist wasn’t exactly a choice I made; it was more like a realization I came to, eventually. I realized I didn’t believe, and despite exploration and thought on the matter, couldn’t believe. So I accepted it as part of who I am. I understood it wasn’t a majority view, and while it could make me sad and angry (and sometimes still does), I accept I live in a world with creeds other than my own. I try to find my place in all that.